As stated in the last email, Recovery Community Centers are sprouting up across the state, including Asheville. Below is an information release for those interested in Asheville’s progress.
Yes, we are now Sunrise: A Community for Recovery and Wellness, a new nonprofit entity. We have a new office space at N Louisiana Ave Suite C4 in addition to continuing our partnership at Kairos West Community Center at 742 Haywood Rd, both are in 28806 zip code. The Louisiana office is going to be the administrative hub while we continue to outreach the surrounding area. We are going to need a lot of help to establish the first Recovery Community Center in Western NC and we welcome one and all to the process. We need help with advertising/social media/marketing. We need accounting help. We need volunteers (in or out of recovery) to populate the office. We need ideas (although we have a lot of our own at the moment). We continue to add to our core missions:
- Peer Support for community outreach and recovery
- Recovery Coaching
- Peer Support for single mothers with addiction challenges
- All Recovery Meetings (for Community involvement on all levels)
- Jail in reach/outreach/diversion
- A Hope Shelter every third Saturday
- Recovery Support Groups (we want to add to this)
- Warm Line
- Jobs for ex-offenders and advocacy
- Better pay for peer support (we will have paid positions slowly being introduced as cash flow improves)
- Recovery and Wellness Radio
- Peer University (free CEUs monthly)
So please write or call us! We will be “open” this Monday as we renovate the space. We are shooting for a July 1st “open house”. If you have living room furniture (couch!) to donate, let us know.
Also, welcome Lexie Wilkins as our “first” employee with three more positions to follow. His duties include day to day oversite of Center and is our “super peer, with his 12 step and MRT experience. We need more women peer supports for jail inreach/support groups. Also welcome back to Lynette Sherrill who helped us at the shelter while “interning” with us.
We have a new website, should be up and running this weekend: sunriseinasheville.org crafted by Lone Bird Studios (thanks Chris K!)
Kevin Mahoney NCCPSS, Executive Director: Sunrise Community’ WRAP & MRT certified peer, Recovery Coach /CCAR Peer Trainer /RHA and Cardinal Innovations MCO